What's your top feature request?

Hi @Tonilirio, thanks for your suggestion!

Have you tried the “Smart UV Project” command in Blender?

Not yet. I’ll try for sure. Thanks Taylor!!

1 Like

I tried Smart UV Project and it produced what looks like a decent UV map for one of the built-in models in Sculptura. However it took around 11gb of RAM and half an hour! I suppose it’s built for smaller meshes.

1 Like

I just bought the app and have been playing with it. My top feature requests are:

1. Layers/subtools- the name is different in each application but the ability to have more than 1 independent object in a scene. Eyeballs for a head are a good example. To have full functionality layers would also need: A. Merging of layers. B. Moving the entire layer with a transform tool/gizmo to reposition objects relative to each other. C. Independent resolution in each layer.

2. Import OBJ files. I see this being talked about on here but I don’t see a way to do this. Is it only in beta right now?

3. Masking. Being able to mask off portions of a model to only edit what isn’t masked is super useful. Also being able to invert the mask, add or subtract to it and soften or harden the mask would be nice.

4. More brushes/brush features. Being able to have apple pencils pressure sensitivity impact more than 1 attribute would be nice. Having an adjustable pressure curve would be great. Mixing 2 types of brushes together is useful. Like having the pinch brush also able to push or pull at the same time. Some kind of clay buildup brush would be nice. The speed/amount each brush has is too weak/slow. It needs to be able to be doubled or quadrupled. Even scaling the scene down doesn’t help much.

5. Voxel subdivision levels. I know right now it’s controlled by the scale factor but that feels clunky and it’s in an arbitrary place in the UI for how much it is used. If you add layers it should be visible right there.

In general I am impressed with the feeling the sculpting has. It’s nice and smooth. Fluid. It just needs more features to be able to do much in it other than doodle around. I’d suggest looking at some of 3D coat features. It’s the closest to what you are making with Sculptura on a desktop. Just the basic features of sculpting in 3D coat would put this app in a great spot. Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t know if other people would find this useful, but would it be possible for the implementation of some sort of “grid plane” in some future version?
Some programs call them “ground planes”, but I’m talking about a horizontal reference plane that could be turned on/off and possibly moved up/down.
This would make sculpting standing creatures a lot easier.
This would not be an actual surface, just a virtual grid that lets you figure out your orientation in 3D space and help keep you from making tilted models.
Thank you in advance for your input on this.

1 Like

Hi, I recently acquired your program, it looks promising, but a lot of things are still not enough to complete the work and implement my ideas. In order not to explain in words, I made it in the picture that I would like to receive from the program. And I hope you will listen to my requests and implement them in the future, so that I will not regret the time spent and the finances spent on your product, I wish good luck!!

1 Like

Multiple objects/meshes is definitely my top request… Sculptura is really impressive, and I’m looking forward to seeing it’s progress :smile:

2 Likes

^^ ALL OF THIS ^^
I’m incredibly impressed with the app thus far though especially for the price
Almost all these requests are already something you can do in a desktop app, and now with import capability, sculptura is a solid part of my workflow… but it would be AMAZING with these capabilities to be sure… that’s my 2 cents anyway

2 Likes

I think the thing this app is missing that it needs the most is a basic shape tool. Like cilinders, cones, cubes, ect.
It’s also really hard if not impossible to do things like sharp teeth. Maybe I’m doing it wrong or something but really sharp points and controlling the curve of those sharp points is really hard. I’ve been working on this one piece I actually intend to export and print but I’m just having a nightmare of a time on the teeth and don’t actually have access to other programs to export it to that would help.

Also the ability to change the thickness of a piece in a uniform way would be super good for printing. My purpose is to make a mask, but to get the indent parts I’ve been using the - and smooth tool and it’s hard to judge just how thick my mask is and sometimes I chomp holes right through with the smooth tool!
I can only add one image to show you what I mean but here is my project

1 Like

@Ripjawwolffang, welcome and thanks for the feedback!

Did you try using the move tool with a sharp falloff to create sharp points?

i gave it a go, I’m not sure what thickness settings to use togrt the best results.
Lol you know what would make this app 500x better. Video tutorials lol even just fan made ones. I might even make something if I ever get decent at it. Most of it is intuitive but sharp edges and stuff not so much…

How small is your sculpt? The larger the sculpt is, the more voxels that are available to allow for cleaner, sharper details. Also, the Smooth tool has two settings - Fast and Slow. Fast brushes with high speed settings convert any surfaces it touches into low voxel density ones (bad for detailing) while Slow brushes with low speeds increase the voxel density of surfaces it touches.

Unsure about how small your sculpt is? Simply zoom out and use the line tool to draw lines from the sculpt to the invisible walls. Draw multiple lines in all directions to get an idea of where those walls are and then use the Undo feature to remove those lines.

There’s no way to measure parts?
When I tried exporting this file it came up as being 1meter long!

There is no way to measure parts in Sculptura. I’d recommend measuring an exported mesh with another app and scaling as necessary.

Looks very interesting.

Really would love to see a way to place / use reference images inside the app.

1 Like

Hi Taylor,

Any news on brushes?

Welcome @Dan! No news to share yet.

Hi, I’m liking Sculptura coming from a 3D coat and Forger background. I think it’s great on the iPad but not sure about purchasing again just to have it on my mac. I’m debating this one. :slight_smile: After playing with the app (will share images at some point soon). Here are my thoughts what I’d like to see and I’m sure these have been requested by others.

Left handed mode (pushing the sliders to the ride of the screen / reversing icon layout).

UV generation. Some packages have UV painting abilities but it seems they don’t like Sculptura files.

Line / box extrude. Much like the sphere feature where you can grow a sphere. Be great to grow a cube or other primitives.

More base models. I think it would be good to have a great choice at start up. Like a cube or even something like a snowman shape, a stool, etc.

Vertical or horizontal snapping on the line tool so you can easily draw a vertical or horizontal line.

UV painting is of course a wish for many. :slight_smile:

select and resize a portion of a model (unless you can do this already?) So you can sculpt at a certain size and then rescale say a hand or a head etc.

Textured brushes so you can add more detail like tyre tracks, bumps and texture.

vertical mirroring as well as horizontal and possibly a way to set where the mirroring occurs.

More control over lighting and the way they interact with the models.

a ? icon so you can tap it and it goes into help mode. whilst in this mode touching an icon / slider will give more details instead of having to go through the help all the time. Touch again and all icons are usable again.

:smiley: I think that’s it for now. Thanks for creating a nice / fun app and I look forward to the future development.

1 Like

Welcome @ExcitedPixels and thanks for the feedback! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome. :slight_smile: If you need a beta tester just shout as I’ve had many years experience with software development and testing :slight_smile:

1 Like