Pipeline Exporting

Mesh Simplify?

I apologize for my terminology. Perhaps this is where I am current lost. After a two year development stint, I am looking for a way to use Sculptura in my development pipeline. My dated macbook11,3 is having troubles with the complexity of the exported obj files.

Currently -> Sculptura example bust -> reduce size 0.25 -> build up to full character -> obj export into blender. Where I wait 2 minutes for it to load a 1.6 tri - 800,000 vert and growing with detail obj. Double faced I might mention. This is where my pipeline breaks down for a while.

I can use blender to reduce it reasonably. Limited Dissolve w/ 10degree max -> Triangulate. Now I am at a badly triangulated mesh of 50k verts and 100k tris. I can repeat the process about 5 times and end up with useable albeit horrifically triangulated model at 10k verts and 20k tris. Scale it down to 0.01 and it becomes manageable. However the end result is a 90’s tronesque model that I can unwrap, texture, rig and then animate w/ Maximo.

The issue being the excessive amount of work involved in producing a sub par asset. I am familiar with 3D modelling on 3dsmax and am just learning it again on the Mac with blender. No longer having a windows machine.

I would love to see a pipeline like -> Import model from (blender) -> Create detail model in Sculptura -> Export simplimesh to (blender) for animation.

Am I expecting too much from these applications? Is there a better process I can use to create game ready models (preferably with as little actual mesh editing as possible)? Are there any other unforeseen pipeline issues that I have missed?

My current desire is to make this pipeline workable. I want to do as much art work on my IPad Pro as possible. My next step is to go with the astropad w/zbrush pipeline if this cannot create the results I am looking for.

Currently using Sculptura, Blender and Procreate for asset creation and Maximo for animation.

Result below (Not the worst, but wondering if there is a better way to solve the mesh into gameworthy. Below is still 15k tris.)

testWalk%20(1)

The problem is that Sculptura is a voxel modeler, and not a polygon modeler. It seems your intended goal is to make an animated model for a game environment - that requires polygon tools, something Sculptura may never deliver on due to its primary focus of voxel modeling. Ultimately, your game conversion workflow will need to involve a competent polygon modeler with the ability to decimate or retopologize the OBJ file from millions of polys to thousands. Something like Zbrush certainly falls under that category and definitely makes that workflow easier, provided you’re well versed with Zbrush’s workflows and methodology.

That said, there’s no magical bullet for making a low poly game model out a million-ish poly mesh other than the known workflows out there that involve a day or several of blood, sweat, tears, and ingenuity. Probably the best way to look at it is that Sculptura can help you get a lot of the initial Zbrush work done reasonably fast while on the go. Then the remaining work (final polish, zsphere retopology methods, detail projection, texturing) is done in Zbrush. Then the model can be moved elsewhere (Blender or other) for non-modeling/texturing tasks.

P.S. - If you want to get extra ingenious about modeling workflows, you can leverage Forger and its layer tools by:

1. Using Sculptura’s voxel sculpting and detailing features to make as complete a model as possible

2. Make duplicates of said model

3. Use the Cut and Carve tools to edit the duplicates so each copy consists of a part of the model

4. Export each pieces as individual OBJ files.

5. Import those OBJ files into Forger under separate layers.

6. Make use of Forger’s retopo, transform, and modeling features for whatever final polish you want to imbue into each piece.

Thank you for the information.

I am more of a programmer than an artist and I am not familiar with any modelling programs beyond the old 3dsRmax. Which I used up until 5 or 6 years ago. So, I am relearning the art side of the industry. My old workflow was - do all the work in 3dsrmax and Photoshop then finalize is Unity w/ shaders and animations.

As you can see from the example, I need all the art help I can get. I can handle the tech side.

I will explore the option of using forger as an intermediary application. I don’t mind having to do the nitty gritty technical art parts, I was just looking for a way to minimize the pipeline while still using the IPad and Apple Pen as a crutch. What used to take me all day to make takes me a few hours on Sculptura — Then I reinvest the time saved in repurposing the exported obj.

I wasn’t even thinking of models with interchangeable parts but, I should have been.

Again, Thank you for the information and I will repost my experiences with this new insight.

Great!

I’d love for Sculptura to fit into game development pipelines. I’ll be doing some research :slight_smile:

Just an update

– It took me a little while to get around to doing this but it works wonderfully. I exported Sculptura OBJ million+ poly into forger. (Forger gave large file warnings) Remeshed down to 128 for a really nice hi-poly character at 28.4k tris / 14.2k poly with clean topology, I did loose all the details in the hands and will have to keep in mind that fingers need to be further apart or keep them in a seperate remesh layer. Also, I can remesh down to 64 resolution with a good model coming out at 4k poly 8k tri.

With that addition to the pipeline, I can easily use the hi-poly character bakedown onto the lower poly mesh. Just have to figure out how to handle the little details. Much better. Thank you.

WalkTest

I don’t know if this helps you Taylor, But I found this remeshing tool to be very powerful.

Thanks! I tried out the app, which works quite well. I’ll be reading their paper, and trying to learn more about the needs of games :slight_smile: