Experiments with the line tool

Here are 3 videos I made at 6x the speed of my drawing the sculptures. This is in response to you request, @robertsyrett .

Essentially I learn through experimentation so you’ll see that sometimes when lines surprise me in their angle or by whether or not they close a loop I had in mind, I just go with the new line and do something with it.

But honestly, I don’t know how close these videos are to what I was doing before in order to generate the images you saw. I was working very intuitively before, but when I was making these videos I was aware that a camera was on and that someone may be looking at the process with an eye to the line drawing tool, so I don’t think I was in full flow.

I hope this is helpful in one way or another.

Sculptura experiments playlist

(currently) hard to do in the app

I think I have a better Idea of the issue with rotating. I tried to copy the format of a @Yael style sculpture. I found that, when I rotated the object so that the “front” was now the bottom, right to left gestures still rotated as if the “front” object were facing me. It was rotating like the hands of a clock on the wall rather than like a record on a turntable. I tried to make a .gif showing what I am talking about:
inconsistent%20rotation

Thank you very much Robert (@robertsyrett). What you did helps me see the problem clearly.

I now looked at one of the bust templates as it comes, in standard position. I am going to phrase what I see in terms of the x, y, z coordinate axes for three dimensional space (x points right, y points back, z points up):

• left / right screen finger move = rotation of bust along the z axis (turntable)
  • up / down screen finger move = rotation of bust along the x axis
  • there is no clear gesture for rotation of bust along the y axis (clock)

In the Yael style sculpture you made (I’m running :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: on that), moving the front of the figure to the bottom is a rotation in the x axis. This means that now the y and z axes have switched, and the x axis stays the x axis. Therefore:

• left / right screen finger move = rotation of figure along the y axis (clock)
  • up / down screen finger move = rotation of figure along the x axis
  • there is no clear gesture for rotation of figure along the z axis (turntable)

So based on what I am seeing I believe that when there will be a clear way to rotate a bust in standard form along the y axis (clock), the problem we have described will disappear.

Though in general I’d much prefer to have the option

• to not think / navigate in terms of the figure but rather
  • to directly navigate a consistent coordinate system for the space, independent of how objects happen to be relatively positioned within it.

This was a continuation of a discussion in the topic
(Currently) hard to do in the app